Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Designing Objects for Fun and Pleasure"

The idea of incorporating fun and pleasure with functional objects and designs is one that I will carry with me in my future designs.  Reading the reactions of people to fun and pleasurably designs shows the importance of putting as much thought as possible into design.  The reading illustrates that the most successful designs are those that entice and intrigue the reader over a prolonged period of time.  Thus, the article posed a challenge for me as the reader and as a designer, which is to create designs that will never bore the potential consumer.  My perception of a successful design was altered as a result of the reading.  Now when I consider the success of a design I will ask myself 'is this the kind of piece that will command its audiences attention, and create new meaning for the viewer over a prolonged period of time? Or is this the kind of design that will become as trite and boring as yesterday's new? ' We are coming into a new era of design one in which functionality, complexity, technology and art will go hand in hand. It will be interesting to see the pleasures future designs will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment